Monday

you had me at HELLO!

Hey lovlies!
          When you see me with my unstraightened natural hair, what's the first thing you think? Many people have many different opinions of it. I'm really concerned about the opinions of others,  but the actions of others. This Saturday I lossened my threads, shook out my 20-24" of virgin indian hair, and rocked my roots once again. I had a pretty upscale fundraising gig Saturday night when I broght it out. I wore a Bantu Knot Out with a little bang in my face and very natural make-up (as I prefer).
          My coworkers-about 99% white-all tell me how nice my hair is and how they wish they could do that with their hair and how cool it is. The list continues. Last week while conversing with one, she told me how beautiful she thinks it is; how it's a symbolism of true beauty and how hurtful she feels when other cultures try to conform to the European ideaology of beauty. I guess before I tell this story I should back it up a little.
          Now it is no secret New Yorkers aren't the friendliest people..like in the whole entire world. I feel like it's my lucky day when someone smiles at me, and if someone says "hi" to me, I've hit the jackpot! This morning while waiting at the train station, I passed a group of elderly, black women. Maybe they sensed my affinity (that's really an obsession) with the elderly. As I walked pass they all starred at me and smiled so hard and made a pleasent effort to indiviually speak to me. I was equally as happy to return the greetings and happily stepped to the facility. While in the bathroom this sparked the topic of this post: is natural hair more inviting? Does it make the women seem more approachable?
When I wear my natural hair, I more frequently get smiles and greetings (especially from white men). People seem to stare more, speak more, and are a little more polite. I get approached many more times with my natural hair then with straight weave. Why? Is it because I am feeling more beautiful on the inside and this is portrayed outwardly? Not sure but it's definitely something to ponder!
 I know I am NOT my hair, but it is certainly a big part of me!


   

No comments: