Friday

perfect imperfections.

Hello folks! This post was inspired by a video I saw on youtube. I may make a video to it one day, but for now I'm taking it to text. It's called "Perfect Imperfections". Take your flaws, something you've been teased about, or something your  subconscious about and turn them into something positive. I'm leaving the comment section open so I want everyone to give their feedback or add your own list! Here's my take:

1. I have a lisp. It's becoming worse now that my wisdom teeth are growing in. Main reason why I haven't made videos in awhile BUT my mouth is beautiful. I have very pretty, white teeth and I articulate well. So what I put extra emphasis on one (out of twenty-six) letter...

2. I have a long chin. People used to make fun of me and call me JoCHINdee. Very creative...eh. BUT I have a beautiful face and bone structure. High cheek bones, full lips, round eyes, naturally arched and clean eyebrows, and a beautiful, dark brown skin to top it all off. My long chin contributes to my oval shaped face that is said to be the most feminine shape.

3. I have big thighs. Yeah I'm not the runway model or single digit sized girl. Shopping in Zara and H&M is hard for me because my body isn't the "European Cut" type. But man oh man do I fill out a dress. These hips are a force to be reckoned with.

4. My skin color. Growing up being called black or black as hell or blackie Chan was a MAJOR insult. Why? Because the lighter the better right? Not to go too much into the African-American ideals of beauty and European influences, but I now realize all that just stems from self-hatred. I get so many compliment from members of other races about how beautiful black skin is. I get so ENRAGED when I see all this Team Light-skinned and Team Dark-skinned mess. Why is it everyone else can appreciate the beauty of black skin except those who have it? All I know is my black is beautiful.

 

"Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me."

excerpt from Phenomenal Woman - Maya Angelou
Perfect does not exist...we are all beautiful.
♥ Jojo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, because I can relate...particularly to the dark skin. I'm feeling your perspective.